Hardware Development Engineer
Location: Durham, North Carolina US
Job Number: 24885
Hardware Development Engineer
The hardware design engineering position is responsible for supporting electrical system design for new hardware products across our retail hardware portfolio with a focus on POS systems, Self-Checkout solutions, and I/O peripherals. Tasks include specification creation as well as supporting the development, integration, and testing of retail hardware solutions. This electrical engineering role requires the ability to focus on the details of hardware logic design as well as provide strong technical leadership and support to global supplier development teams working across multiple geographies. The engineer will work as a part of a global Toshiba GCS development team as we both develop and provide life cycle support for our retail hardware products currently in the field.
- Product specification creation and management - decomposing requirements, developing specifications and communicating specifications and requirements to development suppliers.
- Support hardware product development - ensuring design specifications and quality requirements are met through design reviews and product test phases.
- Support the debug of complex problems found during product development including identifying risks, technical problems and recommending solutions.
- Product life cycle support - providing technical engineering support for cost reductions, EOL components, and field issues.
- Provide technical mentorship to suppliers and global engineering team.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical/computer engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of Electrical/Computer Engineering experience with focus in Logic design
- PC architecture knowledge including fundamental knowledge of digital circuits, I2C, SPI, processors and FPGAs as well as basic OS knowledge (Windows/Linux)
- Thorough experience with the development of product electrical specifications and associated design documentation
- Extensive hardware debug experience with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and protocol analyzers (USB, PCIe)
- Hardware testing experience
- Knowledge in the area of USB technology a plus
- VHDL programming knowledge a plus
- C/Java programming skills a plus
- Adept at design and office tools such as the Cadence tools as well as MS Office applications.
- Experience working with diverse teams in multiple sites
- Working Knowledge of Project Management Methodologies
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Excellent written and oral communication skills both up and down the organizational chain
- Self-starter, achieving great results with minimum supervision
- History of meeting challenging objectives with prior experience of successfully delivering on new product development projects in the role of a development design engineer.
About the Company:
Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions is a dynamic billion-dollar global company based in Research Triangle Park, NC, providing retail store solutions to your favorite brands. Have you ever been in a hurry and made use of the self-checkout at Lowe's Foods, earned fuel rewards at Kroger, or just paid for purchases at retailers such as Walmart, Michaels, Carrefour, The Gap, Calvin Klein, Boots, Cencosud, BJ's, or Costco? These are just a few examples of our in-store solutions and impressive customer base that made us the world's installed market share leader.
The nature of retail is changing quickly, so if you share our 'Together Commerce' vision of a seamless two-way, participatory shopping experience, let's get together to drive the new economy.
Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions, Inc. offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package including the following:
- Group health coverage (medical, dental, & vision)
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Pre-tax spending accounts
- 401(k) plan (with company match)
- Company provided life insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Employee discounts
- Generous paid holiday schedule, paid vacation & sick/personal days
Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that evaluates qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, religious creed, disability, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation or any other protected factor. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Individuals who need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Durham, North Carolina US
State: North Carolina
Community / Marketing Title: Hardware Development Engineer
Requisition Number: HARDW02082
EEO Employer Verbiage: