Location: Durham, North Carolina US
Job Number: 24589
Quality Engineer (WWOPS-091319-001i)
The Quality Engineer (QE) will have the overall responsibility for measuring, tracking, reporting and protecting TGCS and our customers from product and services that do not meet our specifications. Their involvement begins during NPI (New Product Introduction) activity to encourage new products and designs that equal or surpass the predecessor product quality and continues through the life of the product where the QE will monitor TGCS Production and Supplier performance to ensure all key quality metrics are within acceptable target ranges for performance..
The QE will provide input on supplier performance and selection during the RFQ process. They will conduct audits to ensure line readiness as well as monitor and support defect resolution thru all phases of the New Product Introduction. The QE will work with the Suppliers and to direct them in performing ELP (Early Life Performance) testing during NPI. The QE will be responsible for reviewing new process throughput yield and other quality metrics of new production processes and equipment and declaring them Ready/Released to Production.
The QE will have the authority to reject incoming material or declare ‘Stop Ship' as warranted by an out of specification condition. They are the focal point for field issues, often interfacing with customers and account teams for problem resolution. Supplier related issues are documented and driven back to the Supplier where the QE will work with the supplier for detailed failure analysis and root cause determination with corrective action implementation. The QE will be responsible for issuing Distributed Stock Actions (DSA) when suspect material, (Field Replacement Units -FRU) is in the TGCS Service Channels and needs to be identified and corrected. The QE will also work with Suppliers to perform ORT (Ongoing Reliability Testing) during Life Cycle in support of continuous product quality and performance improvement. The QE will continue to perform periodic Supplier audits as a means of quality monitoring, or new Supplier qualification.
The QE will lead the Quality function to optimize the quality processes and maintain documentation of the quality procedures. The QE is integral in supporting the TGCS Quality System including third party audits (ISO). They are responsible for tracking and reporting on quality performance, for incoming, internal performance and out-going product. Working with Production and the ME, the QE can create mistake-proofing inspection fixtures / jigs / test machine and techniques to identify and prevent out of specification material from advancing in the system. He/she will be the focal person for any quality procedure related matter.
The QE should be a mentor to the Quality Function, providing and encouraging growth and leadership skills within TGCS.
- Supplier Management
- Responsible for Incoming parts Supplier Management
- Manage parts Supplier quality issues & process qualification, via a documented, and transparent system (A3, or 8D… process)
- Communicate with Suppliers about technical (form fit and function) issues as identified
- Monitor Supplier parts quality performances (FPY), and on-time delivery
- Work with Supplier for non-conformance parts management (Quarantine, Rework, RMA)
- Perform Supplier's factory audits to assure compliance to TGCS requirements
- Responsible for new parts qualification/engineering changes and approval at Supplier
- Responsible for specification review and management
- Chair conference calls with Supplier and internal teams (when required)
- Incoming Quality Management
- Manage the incoming inspection process to ensure quality of parts received meet all TGCS engineering specifications
- Manage and monitor the incoming inspection process / results and communicate results to TGCS management on a regular basis.
- Rank Supplier quality performance on a quarterly basis so TGCS and Procurement can focus on low performers
- Reject part management: working with Supplier, internal mfg (via the non-conforming material (NCM) process)
- In-process Quality Management
- Setup and monitor in-process quality management for production. Create inspection procedures and instructions for critical processes of production, with special focus on Poke-a-yoke (mistake proofing).
- Establish Statistical Process Control (SPC) at critical steps of production.
- Manage and monitor the yield target for each process during assembly.
- Failed parts management: perform verification and reject management
- Conduct In-process quality process audits / discipline
- Monitor and take corrective actions from field issues/customer complaints.
- Establish and manage Production Pre-Pilot process to ensure new models are production ready before released to production (tooling, specs, parts, BOM, etc)
- Out-going / OBA Quality Management
- Establish and maintain finish goods quality management system (product assembled, tested, packaged and released to Logistics for transit)
- Manage and monitor yield target for overall process and communicate results to TGCS management on a regular basis.
- Ensure product reliability compliance
- Change management: Process, EC, New Product Introduction
- Manage Process or Engineering change processes
- Communicate with Suppliers specifically about Product Content Declarations (PCD) and ensure timely response for TGCS requests
- Load all required files and updates into the TGCS Agile System.
- Work with Manufacturing to create New Product line process setup / qualification, in a manner that promotes product flow (with few impediments)
- Quality System Certification Support
- Maintain all Quality Related ISO 9001 documents, Processes, Procedures, work instructions via the TGCS QMX system (or it's replacement)
- Actively participate in ISO internal and external Audits to maintain certification.
- Work closely with other Team Members to drive Continuous Improvement in a Lean Manufacturing/Assembly Operation
- Participate in and/or lead Kaizen events to Improve Quality
- Documentation management: Quality records / Inspection instruction / Process documentation
- Managed timely calibration of all inspection equipment used for production product.
- Perform SCO manufacturing line / system audits
- Liaise with cross functional teams to resolve issues
- Responsible for supporting customer's visit, drive customer's issue to closure & handle field return activities
- Manage Stop build, Stop Ship processes.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience
- 5 years' experience in Lean manufacturing/assembly Quality Management
- Bachelor's degree (in manufacturing engineering or mechanical engineering) or equivalent experience
- 10 years' experience in Lean manufacturing/assembly Quality Management
About the Company:
Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions is a dynamic billion dollar global company based in Research Triangle Park, NC, providing retail store solutions to your favorite brands. Have you ever been in a hurry and made use of the self-checkout at Lowe's Foods, earned fuel rewards at Kroger, or just paid for purchases at retailers such as Walmart, Michaels, Carrefour, The Gap, Calvin Klein, Boots, Cencosud, BJ's, or Costco? These are just a few examples of our in-store solutions and impressive customer base that made us the world's installed market share leader.
The nature of retail is changing quickly, so if you share our 'Together Commerce' vision of a seamless two-way, participatory shopping experience, let's get together to drive the new economy.
Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that evaluates qualified applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, religious creed, disability, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation or any other protected factor. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Individuals who need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process should email benefits@toshibagcs
Location_formattedLocationLong: Durham, North Carolina US
State: North Carolina
Community / Marketing Title: Quality Engineer
Requisition Number: ENGIN01960
EEO Employer Verbiage: